Sunday, October 26, 2014

Week 20: 천안 : The Work Continues...And is Good!‏

Hello to my wonderful family and fantastic friends,

Hello world. It is another beautiful fall day in Korea and it's pretty nice to finally learn what fall feels like. Being a Mesa, Az, boy my whole life I have come to realize as I've talked with other missionaries that this whole "getting cold" thing is actually the norm in America. They looked at me funny when I said I wear shorts at Christmas....but hey, that's life.

The work in Cheonan (천안), as I said before, continues. As in all things there is opposition and our baptismal ready investigator list has gone from five to three and that really kind of hurts the heart, but is okay. My homeboy 전진영 is going to some crazy study academy in Seoul and will be there for a full year. There is hardly and breaks and very little contact. I guess it's supposed to really well prepare him for college or something. I'm just sad. We're doing what we can to refer him to other Elders but he is set on just resuming in twelve months. Our other friend 김현일 is really busy with tests right now and we haven't met for a few weeks so we had to drop the date though we haven't dropped him. All will be well. All will be well. I feel like the whole "missionary" life is undoubtedly the hands down, very, number one thing I've ever done and I thank God every day for this blessed opportunity...but it's hard! Life is hard! We all have challenges and things that are less-favorite (or not liked at all) and we have to do things that are uncomfortable. I am quickly adapting to the fact that as a missionary I get to live without a comfort zone. My bubble of what I feel comfortable doing is either popping or just growing so fast and big that I don't really see the edges. Probably the latter..And I think it's a good thing. Sure, life is hard, but to steal a line from my pal Sherrie Dew: "If life were easy then it wouldn't be hard." Difficulty or being uncomfortable are what make us grow. It's like stretches or sprints. They are painful or tiring or not "fun", but you become stronger, faster, and limberer (that last one is really fun to say:) (sidenote: I've been doing a lot of stretching and now can sit cross legged! Nice! I still have some work to do until I sit like an Asian, but I am proud of my progress:) We've got to endure and get to that next level. But remember: "Life isn't meant to be endured; it's meant to be enjoyed". So smile because smiling makes you look happy which makes you feel happy, which makes you happy. (transitive property of smiling)  Also read Alma 31:38 Christ takes care of all the hard times.  :)

I apologize for the short entry but time is short and alas (earwax...#albus), I must go.

My prayers are forever with you.

Onward and Upward

Elder Tucker