Sunday, May 31, 2015

Week 51: Lead Kindly Light! Lead thou me on!‏

So a little reflective and reminiscent title... I love that hymn and I really think it's crazy that it was almost a year ago that I sang it in the MTC. Weird. It feels like two lifetimes ago and like last week at the same time. I think I'll probably be dwelling on that theme for the next few weeks because that seems to be the only thing that is constant in missionary work and life: change and the fact that time makes no sense.  And speaking of change, we got transfer calls from the AP's today. And it was a surprise! Elder Hernandez is leaving and I'm leaving! They are moving us both out! Elder Johnson and Elder Young in our house will both be staying but will both be getting new companions and covering their old area and our area. Elder Hernandez and I will both be getting Korean companions! (Insert happy dance because I love Koreans) I will be serving with Elder 박변성 (Pak Byeun Sung..rough english equivalent...) and it will be awesome because he is a fantastic Elder. I am super excited. I am moving one area over. Literally like fifteen minutes away on the subway, and now I will actually live closer to my old church building but will be in the heart of Daejeon. The work there is pretty exciting, and their ward has had a baptism every week this transfer and the Zone leader, Elder Kidman, goes home this week so there are some big shoes to fill. It will be an exciting adventure. 둔산! (doonsan!) wow. Still in Daejeon and super excited to be working so close to President. I love that man.

I also love Elder L. Tom Perry and was so sad to hear about his passing but was at complete peace because know where he is, and I know that all will be well. That is a great lesson I've been seeing a lot in my mission: "All will be well!". All is well. Really truly I know that the Lord is in charge. I know that he is the great Director in our lives. He knows each of us and loves us and has given us this life. He gives us strengths and weaknesses so we can grow and so we can lean on Him. I have come to really love the Lord and am starting to start understanding the infinite atonement and what that means in my life. I know that through be yoked with Christ I am able to pull more than me. I am able to lead on to great heights and grander vistas than I ever imagined...

And when sometimes I feel like I've been treading water in the deep-end for a while I like to sing the song Lead Kindly Light to myself:

Lead, kindly Light, amid th'encircling gloom
Lead thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead thou me on!
Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see
The distant scene--one step enough for me.
So long thy pow'r hath blest me, sure it still
Will lead me on
O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till
The night is gone.
And with the morn those angel faces smile,
Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile!

I know that God will lead me on! I know that He will lead you on too! That help comes through Christ and the blessings are predicated on our obedience. I know that the gospel is true and that God is at the helm. He directs his work and He directs the lives of those who let Him. So let Him! As I remember L. Tom Perry I remember that he was always happy!--More than me! I love his love and his undying trust in the Lord. I love his words about how there is no thing more important than the family and that obedience to law brings true freedom. Remember him, and remember what he taught us. And remember that God will lead you on!

Onward and upward,

Elder Tucker